photo emailbb_zps6b198009.png  photo bloglovinbb_zpsa99338e0.png  photo etsybb_zps1116fabe.png  photo instabb_zpscaca57e1.png  photo rssbb_zps977b032a.png  photo twitbb_zpsd693f4b6.png  photo pinbb_zps6c31eebf.png

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pumpkin muffins with maple cream cheese filling

I'm ready for fall. Like, really ready. I love warm weather, but having 100* weather for weeks on end gets really old, really fast. We still have 2 weeks until school starts, and don't even remind me how many weeks we have until fall officially starts. But I already have fall baking on my mind. 

So this morning, I whipped up some pumpkin pancakes. I didn't realize I was almost out of buttermilk (and completely out of all forms of milk, half&half, heavy cream, etc), so I ended up having to substitute a little water in the recipe. Which was okay, but they weren't as great as I had hoped. 

So in order to take care of my pumpkin craving for real, plus use up the rest of the can of pumpkin puree, I decided to make some pumpkin muffins. I don't have a pumpkin muffin recipe that I consistently use, so I asked my friend Chef Google. I found a few ideas, combined them, and came up with my own recipe. It turned out really yummy so I thought I would share!

{Pin it HERE}

Muffin Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup applesauce 
1/2 tsp baking soda

(Two side notes-- I use whole wheat flour for everything I make. I recommend white whole wheat flour because it is lighter than regular whole wheat flour. You could also easily substitute regular all-purpose flour. Also, the applesauce replaces the need for oil. It doesn't change the flavor but it's much healthier!)

Filling Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream

Special equipment:
pastry bag
#12 tip
coupler

(Side note-- if you don't have the special equipment, you can use a ziploc bag by cutting one corner and squeezing the filling out through that. You will need to use a knife to make a little hole in the muffin first. You could also just use the filling as frosting, or skip it all together)

*****************************************
Directions:
--Preheat oven to 350*
--In a medium bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
--In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, both sugars, eggs, applesauce, and baking soda. Whisk until well combined.
--Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
--Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Scoop batter into muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. (You might not fill all 18 muffin cups)
--Bake for 18-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
--Remove from oven to a cooling rack

{{While the muffins are cooling, make the filling}}

--Put filling ingredients in a medium bowl.
--Using a hand blender, whisk ingredients until fluffy.
--Put tip and coupler on pastry bag, then fill the bag with the filling
--Slightly insert the tip of the pastry bag into the muffin and squeeze lightly
--Once you meet some resistance, slowly pull the tip out, allowing some extra to dollop on top
--Put on a platter and enjoy!


Serve these to your friends and family. 
They will love you for it!

Don't forget to come like my brand new Facebook Page!


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment